Millions of children in the NY area are not active because they can’t afford to play. Please help us get these kids in the game!
Good Sports Overview
Good Sports is a nonprofit organization that gives kids the lifelong benefits of sport and physical activity by providing new equipment, apparel and footwear to those most in need. Founded in 2003 with a donation of 500 basketballs, Good Sports has grown into a national organization that has donated over $22 million worth of equipment to 3,400 programs reaching more than 4 million children in need across all 50 states.
Impact In The New York Market
Why does equipment for kids matter?
- A NYC audit found that only 6% of the city’s schools came anywhere near to offering the required two hours of PE for elementary aged children each week – 2012
- Participation in youth sports is declining rapidly – SFIA, 2016
- In New York City, more than half of all children are low-income (56%) – National Center for Children in Poverty, Columbia University, 2016
Good Sports plans to grow from providing equipment to 15,000 kids to 175,000 children in the market providing over $3.5 million worth of new equipment, footwear and apparel annually.
How Can You Support the Launch of Good Sports New York?
- Make a donation. Good Sports will distribute $2 in equipment for every $1 you donate.
- Introduce Good Sports to potential partners. Would your company be interested in getting NYC youth more active?
- Recommend a program. Refer a program at www.goodsports.org.